Ah Khang

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pollution

Including today, it has been 6 days consecutive with negative temperature in Belgium. This morning I could see the screen panel in my car clearly marking minus 4 degree.

Due the to dry and cold weather, the dust has accumulated everywhere in Belgium. The increased air pollution level has urged the Flemish government to impose a speed limit of 90 km/j on highway, but this is not obligatory in Wallonie region. Since my project is located in Flemish region, so I have fully obeyed the rule to avoid any unwelcome summon.

Nevertheless, I could still see many cars overtaking me on the route this morning, they must have driven at around 120km/j! I simply hope that they were just unaware of the new imposed regulation. It would be too shameful to disregard it because coping pollution is the responsibility of every citizen in this country!

Come to that, I reckon that this is another reason why I like so much to live in Belgium. The country has shown a lot of examples being the forerunner in many international actions, including the opposition of war in Iraq, Kyoto Protocol and so on. Global warming is no longer a scientific hoax, regretfully George Bush is too concerned about his country's economy, or should I say his own wallet, to be ignorance on this global treaty!

However, I am excited to hear that Australia has finally rectified the Kyoto Protocol, thanks to their new prime minister!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home