Ah Khang

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Intersection

Finally I have a lighter and smoother week. Lots of things have happened recently, and again for my life in Belgium, I am going to board a new adventure to work in aother company.

I have attended four interviews in the last 2 weeks, and I have more to come in my agenda. Yet, I will have to stop all these potential interviews, because the company that I am most enthusiastic into has given me a nod.

I went to two interviews on last Friday, spent 6 hours on these interviews, not to mention the journey hours by public transport. I started the first interview at 9am and only found myself home at 9pm. I am truly grateful that my French has been rather beneficial to my performance. All these interviews I have attended so far were carried out in French. Of course, they were all amazed by how fast I have learned the language while pursuing my professional career at the same time... if only they have known the efforts I have put in to succeed in this foreign country.

Now one of the biggest company in the world is offering me a lucrative contract (I hope so, I haven't seen the contract by now, plan to sign it on Friday). The salary should be augmented, I should have a company car, with group insurance, meal check, and extra months salary.... if all these are included in the contract as what I have expected.

Strangely enough, i don't feel much excitement about it tonight. I know I am going to sign this contract, which will signify a big leap in my career path. To have this company in my CV is the greatest reference I can ever ask for. Yet, in fact I do like my current job, I adore working with Java + Web. Too bad that I am leaving all these behind because I encounter communication problem with some people. I know that I have to overcome this obstacle before I leave the company, I have to confront the problem and solve it, else no matter where I go, I am not growing anywhere.

Truly, the lesson I have learned is that: working with westerners, you have to be blunt and let them know what you think. If you are not happy with some acts, you have to tell them in a diplomatic and pleasant way. Being too polite and too generous is not a right way to communicate, as in the end, people will take advantages of you, and you will have no more influential parole. Don't be fearful, they would respect you more if you show your assertiveness.

Anyway, thanks to my current company, I have learned tremondously. Besides technical knowledges, you let me know what is the real working environment, and how I should have the correct attitude to work. I have been stranded by my attitude rather than by my competence (which actually the attitude does lead to incompetence as it's an important element for work) in my professional life. Hopefully I can grow up and avoid the same mistakes in future.

I always remind myself now:
With no fear, I shall succeed
Be more assertive, I shall gain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home